Friday, April 6, 2007

O'Reilly v Geraldo

It was as though I had opened a door and found myself transported to a biker bar where a drunken brawl was in full progress, with semi-conscious beer-bellied men breaking chairs over people's heads and throwing punches at anything that moved.

I was clicking through the cable news channels at home last night, when suddenly I was forced to witness two grown men making complete fools of themselves in front of who-knows-how-many millions of viewers. Bill O'Reilly and Geraldo Rivera, faces red with anger, were simultaneously shouting at each other in full volume, each pointing a finger at the other as if to accuse him of some heinous crime.

I immediately changed the channel, fearing that Fox had finally stooped so low that they were about to televise a murder live on national television.

This morning, I saw Geraldo on Fox News' morning show, so apparently he survived the night. O'Reilly wasn't there with them, but seeing as how Geraldo was not in handcuffs, I'm guessing that he was alive somewhere, presumably sleeping off the adrenalin rush.

I would like to think that the two men are ashamed of themselves today for their inexcusable and disgraceful public behavior, but that is probably too much to ask. I watch the O'Reilly Factor from time to time, so I know that Bill O'Reilly is never ashamed of himself. Geraldo, I don't know. He may have a little more maturity than O'Reilly.

Whatever they were talking about, I'm sure it was an important issue. It's unfortunate that it was presented in such an immature fashion.

No comments: